The Jungle Book


You know how sometimes people say that you shouldn't have high expectations because you might be disappointed with the outcome? Well, I cannot handle myself when I first learned that they will recreate this memorable 1967 animated film and my inner kid rejoiced.



And they were wrong. I expect more for this movie and Disney successfully delivers. Sure, it's got a dark theme distinguishing it from its precedent but I feel like it managed to stand on its own. 


It sticks mostly on the original - a tale of a 'man-cub'  who was taken by Bagheera (Ben Kingsley) to the wolf pack and was adopted by a motherly wolf Raksha (Lupita Nyong'o) who later named him Mowgli (Neel Sethi).

To be frank, I love the movie entirely, from its characters to the voice over to the immersive visual effects. Oh, the visual effects! It surpasses previous Disney movies in special effects department and excellently add some realness in the characters. I swear, at times I thought Shere Khan, the tiger is real! 


Idris Elba who played the villainous tiger Shere Khan excellently creates a terrifying atmosphere with its roars and wicked lines. 


Also, we are blessed to see Bill Murray portraying the beloved Baloo who is the story's comic relief. Not only that, director Jon Favreau included the memorable scene from the original where Mowgli floats on Baloo's belly.




My only disappointment in this movie is the lack of screen time for the hypnotic snake, Kaa voiced by Scarlett Johansson who will definitely captivate the audience with her sultry and almost-hissing voice.


Moreover, Kaa is way scarier than the animated Kaa



Verdict: With a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes (I'm not kidding) and the stunning visual, this movie is highly recommended. Oh and please watch it in 3D because who wouldn't want to see a realistic snake lingering right in front of our own eyes? 

Watch this if you like: Disney's classic Jungle Book

Watch out for: The gigantic yet funny King Louie which is not an orangutan like in the original but a scary Gigantopithecus


Rating: 9/10. There is not a dull moment in this movie, I can assure you.








Comments